Marshall

Marshall, Sons & Co. established their Britannia works at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire in 1848, and over the next half a century they built up a reputation as one of Britain's leading producers of steam portable and traction engines. The export market was very important to Marshalls, and in the early 1900s they began to think about producing a heavyweight oil tractor in order to compete with the American and Canadaian-built machines on equal terms. Their first prototype, built in 1907, was a two-cylinder 30 hp model, and this gave rise to the "Colonial" range of large oil tractors a few years later. Marshall "Colonial" tractors were shipped worldwide, and achieved mixed success in the Winnipeg tractor trials in Canada. By the 1920s the trend was towards smaller, lightweight tractors, and Marshall decided to adopt the single-cylinder design that was popular with European manufacturers such as Lanz and H.S.C.S. In 1928 a single-cylinder diesel prototype was constructed, and this was to become the 15-30 Model E. An restyled 18/30 model and smaller 12-20 soon followed, and Marshalls stuck with the single-cylinder design for their legendary Field-Marshall range of tractors that were built from the 1930s through to the 1950s.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Marshall "Colonial" at the Great Dorset Steam Fair, Dorset, England in 2002.



Marshall "Colonial" Class E at the Pioneer Settlement Museum, Swan Hill, Victoria, Australia in 2007.



Marshall "Colonial" Class F (serial no. 84) at the Vooroorlogse Tractorshow Bergeijk, Netherlands in 2008.



Marshall "Colonial" Class F at the Manitoba Agricultural Museum, Austin, Manitoba (Canada) in 2004.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright 2006-2017 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.