Komnick

The Komnick company was founded in West Prussia in 1854 to manufacture limestone processing machinery. The firm soon expanded into other areas, including steam ploughing tackle and crude oil engines. They introduced their first motor plough around 1914 - this was an 8-ton machine with 2.2 m high front wheels that was powered by a four-cylinder, 14 litre engine of 80-100 hp and had its radiator placed behind the engine to protect it. The six-furrow plough was mounted on a separate frame to absorb vibrations and was also equipped with a power lift; the furrow wheel was set slightly lower so that the machine remained level while working. During the First World War, many of these giant machines were purchased by the army for use on the large estates in the east of Germany. After the war, the smaller PB 3 and PC 6 motor ploughs were introduced; the three-furrow PB 3 weighed 5.5 tonnes and used either a 30 or 45 hp engine and could be upgraded with extra parts to a four-wheeled tractor, while the PC 6 was a four-furrow machine equipped with an 80 hp engine. The height of the chain-driven drive wheels on both models could again be adjusted. These machines, and the later wheeled tractors, were designed by Joseph Vollmer of Deutsche Automobil-Konstruktions GmbH. The first four-wheeled conventional tractor, the 'Grossschlepper PT', appeared in 1925 and was offered on both steel wheels and solid rubber tyres - this machine also formed the basis for the Benz-Sendling Model BK. The four-cylinder 40 hp 'Kleinkraftschlepper PS 1' and two-cylinder 32 hp 'Kleinkraftschlepper PS 2' followed soon afterwards, and these were produced right up till the takeover of Komnick by the Bussing-NAG company in 1930.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Komnick PS 2 'Kleinkraftschlepper' at the Musee de la Machine Agricole Ancienne, Saint-Loup, France in 2007.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright 2006-2017 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.