Flour City

O.B. Kinnard and Albert Haines operated a machine shop in the early 1880s, and in 1889 they formed the Kinnard Press Company to produce hay presses among other products. The next decase saw the addition of gasoline engines to the product line, and these were used as the basis for an experimental tractor as early as 1894. The first production tractor appeared in 1900, after which the Kinnard-Haines Co. was formed in 1901. It was around the turn of the century that the "Flour City" name was adopted for engines and tractors - this was the nickname of the city of Minneapolis, which was famous for its flour milling industry in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Tractors were exported around the world, and a Flour City tractor was the first tractor to be imported to New Zealand. After 1907, tractors were powered by a dedicated four-cylinder engine rather than the stationary engines used previously. The range soon included 20-35, 30-50 and 40-70 models, first with a large square tank at the front for cooling, and later a vertical radiator and fan. Lighter tractor were introduced in the latter half of the 1910s, most notably the Flour City Junior 14-24 model. Four different sizes of tractor were available throughout the 1920s, but the factory was then sold in 1929, bringing tractor production to an end.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Flour City 40-70 (serial no. 1224, built 1912) at Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion, Rollag, Minnesota, USA in 2011.



Flour City 40-70 at the Best Show on Tracks, Woodland, California, USA in 2008.



Flour City 30-50 at the Manitoba Agricultural Museum, Austin, Manitoba, Canada in 2004.



Flour City 30-50 (serial no. 2079, built 1920) at the Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer, Grand Island, Nebraska, USA in 2011.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright 2006-2017 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.