Farm Horse

The Farm Horse Traction Works Co. of Hartford, South Dakota began producing tractors in 1911. These were of a three-wheeled design, and offered in two sizes - 12 hp and 18 hp - both of which were powered by a two-stroke, two-cylinder opposed Ellis engine. The following year a four-wheeled design was introduced and the Ellis power unit was replaced by a Pittsburgh four-cylinder vertical engine mounted crossways; this was used up until 1917, when it in turn was replaced by the much more reliable Climax Model K. In 1919 the company moved to a newly-built, larger factory in Guttenberg, Iowa, and the Farm Horse tractor was redesigned with a number of improvements. Another three-wheeled design was introduced in 1921, but this was not enough to save the company from the effects of the Depression, and two years later it was wound up with an auction of all remaining stock of tractors and parts.

For a more detailed history of the Farm Horse tractor, including many archive photos, see the excellent series of articles by Bill Lee in "Engineers & Engines" magazine (Vol.56, Nos.2,3,4), from which the above information was sourced.

(Click on images below to enlarge)



Farm Horse (built 1914) minus engine at the South Dakota State Agricultural Heritage Museum, Brookings, South Dakota, USA in 2011.



Farm Horse (built 1915) with Climax engine at the South Dakota State Agricultural Heritage Museum, Brookings, South Dakota, USA in 2011.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright 2006-2017 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.