Agro

Puech, 116 bis, Rue de Tocqueville, Paris, France
 

History

French advertsiement for "L'Agro"
(click on image to enlarge)
The Agro ("L'Agro" in French) was designed by an engineer named Pironneau and built by the Puech company of Paris. It consisted of a two-wheeled prime mover with 1 m diameter wheels and the engine mounted in front of the axle - the rest of the weight was supported by an attached plough body or trailed implement. The first Agro tractors appeared in the 1920s and were fitted with a four-cylinder, four-stroke Ballot engine, which developed 4 hp at 1400 rpm. The transmission was by chain, and at the early machines machines had only a single forward and reverse gear. The Agro was later offered with a larger two-stroke Sicam engine, either air- or water-cooled, and two forward speeds were provided on the last models. It is reported that a special version, designed for disabled war veterans, was developed after the armistice in 1918. Like all motor ploughs, the Agro was eventually superseded by the technically superior and more versatile tractor, and it had disappeared altogether by the end of the 1920s. Puech continued to produce agricultural machinery, however, most notably a range of mini-tractors with 6 hp and 8 hp Bernard engines.

 
Photo Gallery (Click on images to enlarge)



Agro at the Musee Agrivap, Ambert, France in 2002.



Agro at the Musee Maurice Dufresne, Azay-le-Rideau, France in 2007.



Agro at the Musee de la Machine Agricole Ancienne, Saint-Loup, France in 2007. This is the later style with a two-stroke air-cooled Sicam engine.



Agro at Traktormuseum Bodensee, Uhldingen-Mühlhofen, Germany in 2013.

 


TOP       BACK       HOME
Copyright © 2006-2017 David Parfitt. All rights reserved.